Monday, August 31, 2009

Weekly Updates for 8/23/09 and 8/30/09

I had this whole thing almost completely written and the computer locked up. Apparently auto-save didn't actually SAVE anything. So the second try isn't as thorough as the first. Lucky you.

Again, two weeks in one. And a day late, to boot! I'm really slacking on the whole weekly blog thing. Hopefully the insane business is on the decline and I'll be a little better at it in the coming weeks.

So here's the breakdown for week 1:
Monday--Housing office. No progress.
Tuesday--Cultured for MRSA. Jackson was negative, mine was positive. No big deal, 60% of people would test positive for having it on their skin. Antibiotic ointment in our noses twice a day for a week.
Wednesday--OB Appointment. Everything's fine. The doc didn't have access to the radiologist's report from the ultrasound, but he said he would call once he got a hold of it.
Thursday--Call from O.B. office. Ultrasound looked fine. Alex has a bit of a large head, and a smaller abdomen, which is the reason the head:abdomen ratio was high. His abdominal circumference was in the 26th percentile. They don't start to worry unless it gets to the 10th, so we're good for now. Also they told me to get my glucose test done ASAP. Normally it's done at 28 weeks (I'm 26 now) but I was supposed to do it at 16 because I now have an immediate family history of diabetes (Dad). Wright-Patt didn't tell me, and I didn't know since I didn't have the risk factor when I was pregnant with Jackson.
Friday--Glucose test. An hour in the lab. Yay. Halfway through my hand started itching. By the end of the day I had a few itchy spots. When I woke up Saturday morning I was covered head to toe in what I thought were bites. Turned out to be hives. After meds they were gone within a few hours. Also found out my MRSA test was positive.

Housing office story. Called Monday, still #4 on the list, still 13 total on the list. No one gets housing until there are a lot more units available than there are people on the list. Hmmm... I must've misunderstood that. Went in on Wednesday to clarify. Nope, I got it right. And no one gets housing during peak PCS (moving) season. When I started to ask how I would know when PCS season is over, she back pedaled and said, "Don't worry about peak PCS season, just know there aren't enough units available." Called Friday to find out how many units ARE available? Got put on hold forever, then the lady (different lady than Wed) came back and said she was going to talk to her supervisor and call me back. She called back 10 minutes later to tell me they were offering us housing. Gee, what a shock, you have LOTS of units available, and yet no one on the list is getting housing. THAT'S why you couldn't tell me how many you have! Anyways, the one they offered on Friday didn't have a laundry room and wasn't on the part of the base we really wanted to be on. I discussed this with the housing lady and she said there were some in the building right next to our current building. So Monday I declined the first offer, got a second offer, and accepted it. It made it really nice for moving that the buildings are right next to each other. Plus the second one is newer, and has a laundry room. YAY for no washer and dryer in the kitchen!

Week 2:
Monday--I asked Mike's first shirt for some help moving. He said he would round some guys up for me, no problem. I stopped by vehicle operations and arranged to rent their truck for moving day.
Tuesday--Jackson had speech therapy. It went pretty well. He loves Holly! One activity was designed to see if he could put items together based on color. There was a container with red toys and one with blue ones. Holly took each thing out and handed it to him and asked him what it was. When he'd say, "Shoe" or "Bear", she'd respond, "Red shoe" or "Blue bear." After they were both empty and all the things were on the ground, he had to put the blue ones in the container with the blue ball and the red ones in the container with the red ball. He understood the concept, but wasn't very good at it. He got more than 50% so he wasn't just guessing. She said, "Next time we'll just dump them on the floor and have him do them that way. He's so smart I think he just memorized which things came out of the same containers." Like, he knew the shoe, train, and boat went together, but not because he recognized they were all red. So we'll see how it goes next time.

Also on Tuesday we went to the housing office to sign final paperwork and set up inspections. YAY!

Wednesday--Pre-Inspection at the old apartment. The inspector that will do the final inspection came to tell me what all would have to be done to pass. Let's just say it's a LOT of cleaning! I had a dental appointment which went fine. We tried to go to the member appreciation dinner at the e-club but when we got there I found out it's adults only. Oops.

Wednesday afternoon I had a little scare with baby Alex. I thought I was leaking amniotic fluid. I called the FCU (again), they told me to come in and be checked (again) despite the MRSA. I did and everything was fine. They did a test to confirm it was NOT amniotic fluid, monitored his heartbeat and me for contractions (which I had none) and sent me on my way. A little scary, but fine in the end and also a reminder that, "Hey dummy! You're pregnant! Stop doing so much!"

Thursday was just last minute packing and wrapping things up at the old apartment. And a call from the OB telling me I failed my glucose test. So now I get to do the 3-hour version. Probably since I didn't eat anything for like 15 hours before my test my sugar spiked when I drank the stuff. The 3-hour test they actually take a baseline. But I have to eat at least 150gm of carbs and 2200 calories for the 3 days before the test. Doesn't sound hard (and it's really not THAT hard), but I still have to write down everything I eat and drink to make sure I hit it.

Friday--MOVING DAY!! I got up at 0515 to pack anything I wanted in the new apartment that couldn't be packed Thursday night (bedding, toothbrush, etc) and take apart bed frames. I think it's the first time I've had to set an alarm since I quit working. Jackson's a pretty reliable alarm clock; I never sleep past 0630 and he definitely doesn't come equipped with a snooze button! We left the house at 7 to stop and get donuts and drop Jackson off at the sitters. Then I came home and left the donuts for the volunteers (voluntolds), get paperwork, then back to pick up the truck from vehicle ops. When I got back they were enjoying the donuts and juice and were ready to get started. They were all really great and not one thing ended up broken. I met the housing guy at the new apartment at 9 to get the key and we were off! I bounced back and forth between apartments all day. Unpacking when I could, running errands when I had to (for more tape, pizza at lunch, and to pick up Jackson at the end of the day). They finished up at around 1800 and they had moved EVERYTHING! I thought I'd have to move clothes from the closets and maybe a few smaller/lighter boxes on my own on Saturday. Nope. I was really impressed by how hard they worked.

So between what little time I had in the new apartment on Friday, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning I got completely unpacked. For the second time in 6 months, I unpacked in 2 days without Mike. NOT something I want to get used to!! Although getting to start over with a spotless house is always nice. =)

So that's our two weeks in review. With all the medical stuff coinciding with the moving stuff it did get overwhelming at times. But it's all done with now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Mommie Green Giveways