Thursday, July 2, 2009

Weekly Update 7/5/09

Lots of updates this week!

First, we discovered Jackson has an obsession with hats. And it's not enough for him to wear a hat, YOU have to wear one, too.

Second, we went to Myrtle Beach. We left last Sunday and came home on Wednesday. The car ride there wasn't exactly great. Jackson doesn't nap easily in his car seat, and it's even less likely if there's someone in the back seat with him. I think maybe because he can see you, and expects you to get him out of his seat. He screamed the last hour on the way there. Not looking forward to the 8 1/2 hour (PLUS stops) drive to Ohio this week.... But that didn't stop me from trying to get him to nap anyways. I came prepared with Puppy Blankie, his blanket and of course Daddy Doll.


The place we stayed had a perfect room setup for us. It was a 2-bedroom condo, and the second bedroom had its own mini fridge, microwave, bathroom, and door to the hallway. Plus there was a door that could be shut from both sides (like connecting rooms in a hotel) so it could've been its own separate hotel room. There was a full kitchen with dishes, living room, and two balconies. NICE. The pool area had a small indoor pool, a lazy river, a kiddie pool, and an outdoor sprinkler play area that Jackson LOVED.

On Monday, we got up and had breakfast then went down to the pool and the beach. Mike's parents didn’t join us for a while and while we were by ourselves, Jackson and I floated on a raft in the lazy river. That was GREAT FUN. We probably did that for 20-30 minutes, which is a long time for him to participate in any activity, especially one where the main focus is sitting. But he was sleepy so I think he enjoyed it. We splashed each other and made fish faces back and forth then giggled hysterically. Too cute that monkey boy! But of course the first glimpse of Grandpa ruined that serene moment. Grandpa took him to the beach some

while I laid in a lounge chair in the sun and read and napped.

He got sand everywhere, including his face.

And Grandma went zoom zoom with him in the pool.


Then a quick rinse and lunch (peanut butter & jelly) and nap time. Took over an hour and a half to get him to sleep, but he had been sleepy for almost 2 hours, so whose fault was that? Mine. But he was having too much fun, I didn’t want to drag him away from the pool for a nap even though he signed tired/sleepy more than once. Oh well. Once he was finally asleep Mike's dad and I left for the outlets. Jackson got 4 one-piece zip-up footed pajamas, one pair of pants that turns into shorts, and one winter outfit--a one-piece with a bear on the butt. All in 24 month sizes. I splurged on a skirt at Motherhood. It was $50, and not on sale. But it is super cute and insanely comfortable. So I bought it. I shouldn’t have since it was so expensive, but I just couldn’t resist. I've worn it a bunch so far and plan on wearing it a ton over the next 6 months.


We got home less than 5 minutes after Jackson woke up from his nap. The scene when I walked in the door was hilarious. Andy dropped me off close to the hotel before he parked the car. So I came up to the room alone. Jackson was in the corner on Grandma’s lap or at least looking at her. I was halfway in the room before he finally saw me. He looked up, got slightly excited, and started running. I squatted down, and held my hands out to pick him up and he ran right past me to the door to see where Grandpa was. Little shit. =) He sure does love his Grandpa!! Then more beach and more pool and more lazy river and more zoom zooming in the big pool with Grandma.

Then bath time and off to dinner. We went to Captain George’s tonight (the one with the big ship in the middle and crab legs). Jackson ate like a pig. I think he’s working up quite an appetite with all the playing and none of the snacking. Jackson was soooo exhausted that he went down pretty easily. I had to go in once to fix his blanket but after that he only cried for a few minutes.

After he was down I went out on the balcony with Mike's parents for a while. It was really nice out there at night when it cooled off and there was a nice breeze. During the day it was pretty hot so unless you were in the water you were miserable. Although I don’t think it’s been quite up to 114 here, like it has been in Kuwait as early as 0930.


Baby Alex loves seafood, including crab legs. Lots of kicking after dinner especially.

Tuesday was pretty much more of the same. Pool, etc. in the morning just me and Jackson, then attempted nap, lunch, and then nap for real. We had PB&J for lunch again, but this time on the balcony. He was being goofy, but really enjoyed lunch outside I think.


Then more beach, pool, sprinkler in the afternoon.

Bath, dinner, and bed. Dinners were definitely interesting. Sunday was Angelo's (Italian), Monday was Captain George's, and Tuesday was Bennett's. All buffets, and Jackson went to town! Angelo's he ate so much we were all done and waiting on him to finish his pizza before we could leave. Bennett's had corn on the cob which we have learned he is a major fan of.


On the way home from the beach on Wednesday, we were about 30 minutes from Mike's parents' house when Jackson started saying something that we hadn't heard before. No one could figure out what he wanted. He was saying, "Gaauy." Sounds almost like guy but with extra vowels at the beginning. Char finally figured out he was saying, "Grandpa." Of course. So now he says it alllll the time.

After we got home we bought Mike some gloves to replace some that fell out of his pocket at work. Jackson had to try them on before we mailed them to Daddy.


On Friday, I went to a Benjy Davis Project concert in Southern Pines. They have a little mini festival during the summer called First Friday that is, duh, on the first Friday of every month from May-October. It is pretty neat. But of course I wasn't there for the festival, just the music. I couldn't believe my luck getting to see them for free and like 5 miles from Andy & Char's house. I would've driven MUCH FURTHER than that!

The show was awesome as expected. Even more so because I told a couple of the guys before the show I had come from Japan and that had to be some kind of record for furthest traveled to a BDP show. They agreed. I got a shout out, AND they played my favorite BDP song that they usually don't do at concerts. Well, that they've never done at any of the other 5 I've been to, despite repeated begging. =) I spent some time after talking to them and am looking forward to getting to see them again in Cleveland. One of my friends in Little Rock teased me and said I probably just came to the states to see them in concert and it had nothing to do with visiting family.

Our Fourth was uneventful. I tried to get Jackson's naps timed just right, with one around 11 (check) and another around 4 (didn't happen), so he could stay up late and watch fireworks. By eight he was done. We wouldn't have been home until 10 or later, so I just put him to bed. He really enjoyed them last year, but he's more demanding with his sleep now. Maybe next year.

This morning Grandma discovered if she sings, "Boom boom boom boom boom boom boom ba-boom" Jackson dances like an idiot. Very cute. He also imitates whatever you do with your hands (clapping, hitting your legs, swinging them in the air like a monkey). So we've taken turns doing that all day.

He also LOVES itsy bitsy spider and if you sing he can do almost all the motions (when he's in the mood).

This afternoon, we went to Cannon Park again because it was cloudy (and therefore cool) and still decent weather. We tried to leave the first time and when I was putting Jackson in his car seat he signed "sleepy" and tapped my shoulder the way he does when he wants to lay his head down on it. I asked if he wanted to take a nap and he said "ah" which is "yeah" in Jackson-speak. So in we came to take a nap. He laid quietly for about 20 min, started crying, and refused to nap. So up we went and back out to go to the park. He had a great time swinging and sliding as usual. Eventually it started to sprinkle and we had to come home. Now he's watching Lady and the Tramp with Grandma and Grandpa. Fun times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Mommie Green Giveways