Saturday, October 10, 2009

Weekly Update 10/11/09 and End to Jenni's Adventure

These pictures and videos are from an earlier blog post, but I just now had access to be able to upload them onto the computer.



The end of Jenni's Big Adventure:
DAY 10--Tuesday 10/6/09
I got up early and headed back to the hospital for one last visit with the urologist. Some paperwork to fill out and last minute discussions for arrangements in Japan. Then I stopped by OB to get my records from the ultrasound they did. One last stop to visit the Air Force liaison and she had flight info for me. I got everything I needed from her, then headed back to the hotel. I was NOT sorry to be leaving Tripler (for hopefully the last time!)

I'd e-mailed my cousin Chris before I left for the hospital that morning asking if he had any contacts in Hawaii that might be able to give me a good idea of what things were IMPORTANT that I see since I only had a very short time on the island. Within an hour he had lined up someone with the afternoon off who was willing to take me around and show me everything I wanted to see. Since I hadn't done any research, I had no idea what I wanted to see, so he just showed me things he thought would be important. He picked me up at the hotel around 1 and after some lunch and a vehicle switch, we headed out.

Our first stop was a rare look at the USS Arizona Memorial. Where my hotel was and where my guide (Kebry) lives is on an island in Pearl Harbor called Ford Island. You used to have to ferry back and forth between it and the main island, but about 10 years ago they built a bridge. There's a restricted part of Ford Island where you can only go if you live in the Navy housing that's back there. Just so happens, that's where Kerby lives. So he took me back there and showed me this little nook with an INCREDIBLE view of the Arizona memorial.

I didn't get to do the whole "Pearl Harbor Tour" deal because you have to go in the morning and sign up for tickets later in the day. The timing just didn't work out to where I could do it. But I still at least got to see the sight from here.

Our next stop was Waikiki Beach. There's a really nice DoD hotel there and we walked through it to get to the beach. We are DEFINITELY staying there when we go to Hawaii (whenever THAT is!). They have pretty prime beach property. We walked down and stood on a pier and got some good pictures of Diamond Head.


On our way back to the car, we went through the Hilton Hawaii where there were penguins. Yeah, penguins in Hawaii, I was surprised too. It just so happened we were there at feeding time.


We headed to a place called "Halona Blowhole". The waves hit the rocky shore in a way that forces water up through the rocks in what resembles a whale's blowhole. It was actually very cool. I got a video of a small spray, but seconds after I stopped shooting, there was a much bigger spray that I missed. That one was REALLY cool, but you still get the idea from this video:


Then we went to Pali Lookout. Well, actually there was another stop between Blowhole and Pali, and I have two pictures of it. But I can't remember where we were. Dang. I knew I should've taken notes!!


Okay, so Pali Lookout. It was basically a great place with fantastic panoramic views of lots of things.


After Pali Lookout, we headed back across the island to the Navy Base. We were at what I THINK was the club, but I can't be 100% sure. They had an outdoor patio where you could eat (during normal meal times only I think which was not when we were there). The view from that patio was ridiculous. If our club had that kind of view, I don't think we'd ever eat anywhere else!


Then it was to the Navy Exchange (NEX). Not your normal exchange by any means. It was more like a mall than an exchange. When we walked in, Kerby pointed out the ceiling that was done by Wyland. That was pretty impressive!


We did a little shopping, then headed to Hickam AFB to check out their exchange. (I was looking for a coin for Mike's collection and they didn't have anything "Hawaii" at the NEX--just things "Navy"). After I found a coin, we had dinner in the food court and headed back to the hotel. Whew! I still say that was a TON of touring in only 6 hours!


DAY 11--Wednesday 10/7/09
Kerby tasked one of his sailors (who I later found out was not getting out of work as I thought, but was actually on leave) to be my guide the next morning. I had to be at the airport at 10am to catch my noon flight, but I wanted to check out a flea market type thing that was going on that day. She picked me up at 8am and we headed to the market, where I found a few souvenirs for myself, and some dried peas for Mike (weird, I know, but he had asked for them while he was deployed and I hadn't been able to find them anywhere).

Then at 10 I was at the airport and checking in. I was concerned about the typhoon forecast but kept keeping an eye on the forecast and the lady at the airline check-in counter assured me my flight was still unaffected. Luckily it stayed that way and we boarded on time. We had to wait for three straggling passengers, so we took off 20 minutes late. They must've been special, because I know usually they shut that door at exactly the time they're supposed to. I ended up sitting next to a guy who is Air Force stationed at another base and his daughter. She'd had surgery at Tripler and they were on their way home, too. It was nice to be next to someone who spoke English, but the poor stewardesses all thought we were together (an easy mistake to make!), which was pretty funny. An uneventful flight, and only about 7 1/2 hours (instead of the scheduled 8 1/2). I watched "The Proposal" and "My Sister's Keeper" and read some of my book and slept about an hour.

We landed a little after 3pm on Thursday (Japan time) and I made it through immigration and customs in what felt like record time. It seemed to take forever to get my luggage even though it was one of the first ones off the plane. I booked it to the other terminal where the shuttle buses are and made it to where they park at about 4:02. I wasn't really expecting to make it but I thought I'd give it a shot and also make sure the other buses were where they were supposed to be. I got to their spots and... no buses. Hmmm, that's weird! There should be at least two here. So I went inside and asked the DoD liaison what was up. Turns out because of the "typhoon" they weren't going to do any shuttles that day. But when there ended up not being any bad weather, they decided to go ahead and send them. So they were on their way and scheduled to leave at 6:30 and 8:30 and board 30 minutes beforehand. Okay, no big deal. It sucks to have to wait, but I got something to eat then just sat in the airport and read some more of my book until it was time to get on.

The ride home was excruciating. To be SOOO close, yet still 2 hours away just sucked. I finally got myself to fall asleep and didn't wake up until we were coming through the gate on base. Then when I got to where the bus stops, I went inside and called Mike to come get me. They got there maybe 10 minutes later. Jackson was still awake (but a little sleepy) and already in his pajamas. I cried when I hugged Mike, and I decided to just hug Jackson in his car seat rather than get him out and have to put him back in. We headed home and I was very excited to get Jackson out and carry him inside. He got lots of proper hugs and kisses on the way in.

We let him play for about 10-15 minutes and then put him to bed because he was super tired and we didn't want him to get overly tired and not go to sleep. It was definitely weird having two people trying to parent. But I think we're getting the hang of it now!

And that's the end of my big adventure. I'm VERY glad it's over!!!


Weekly activities
Monday through Thursday was just Mike and Jackson at home. They went to playgroup one day, where Jackson played and Mike didn't talk to any of the moms. He's weird. And Mike bought a jogging stroller and pushed Jackson while he ran 4 miles. Jackson seemed to enjoy it. He wanted to be done after the first mile and a half, but he got over it. They went again on Saturday (while Jackson was still in his jammies) and that went pretty well, too.

Friday I had to go to the clinic and drop of OB records. I also got paperwork to file my travel expenses with the insurance company. And Jackson got his flu shot. Mike sang while he was holding him down, and Jackson didn't cry AT ALL. He barely flinched when they put the needle in. I mean, he's always really great about his shots and never really does more than whimper (which always gets impressed comments), but NO crying at all?! I can't believe how tough he is.

We had dinner with Trysta and David on Friday night. They'd invited some people over and we played poker after dinner. Since Jackson stayed with them for so long, he's used to sleeping on their spare bed. It's a queen mattress and box spring, but no frame, so it just sits on the floor. Perfect for him. After dinner we put him to bed there. We played poker with a bunch of people, but they all left and the four of us played ImagineIff... It was a pretty fun game. Around midnight we were ready to go home, and the plan had been to just wake Jackson up, take him home and put him back in bed. We decided to just leave him there and they called us the next morning when he woke up so we could go get him. He slept until after 9, which would never happen at home.

Saturday there was a birthday party for one of the boys in Jackson's playgroup. We ended up being over 30 minutes late because Jackson was still taking a nap. The party was good, and I got to see what the rec room and bouncy castle I rented for Jackson's party look like. They did theirs in an Elmo theme, and Jackson was very impressed by that. After the party we went to dinner at Chili's.

I went to Trysta's birthday party after that and Mike took Jackson home. No plans for today, but I still have some housework to get caught up on. I also have to get Jackson's party planned some time in the next two weeks. That should be pretty easy since Mike will be home on recon leave for them. We're also considering a day trip to Disney one day this week as long as the OB clears me to go that far from the base.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the sprays in the rock. Hawaii would be a great place for a big ole family vacation. Does Jackson need another hair cut? Love the big boy shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, he needs another hair cut. We meant to do it yesterday but he and Daddy were already in the shower when I remembered, so tomorrow. They both need them so hopefully seeing Daddy get clipper-ed first will make it easier to do Jackson's.

    ReplyDelete

Natural Mommie Green Giveways