Sunday, March 15, 2009

A TDY, Household Goods, and LOTS of unpacking!

Mike found out Wednesday night that he'd be leaving on Thursday to go TDY. (TDY=Temporary Duty, meaning somewhere other than your regular station but not long enough or in a location to be considered a deployment.) So we scrambled on Wednesday to get laundry done and get him packed, not knowing how long he'd be gone. Thursday was his birthday so we talked to family to make sure everyone got a chance to wish him Happy Birthday before he left. He left Yokota at about 1pm on the bus for the airport in Tokyo. He called on Friday to say he should be home on Saturday the 21st. So, only 10 days. I'm sure we can manage without him for a week and a half.

The biggest thing was that our household goods (our crap) was being delivered on Friday. So I had to direct movers and arrange furniture without him. Luckily, our friends Shane and Ellen took Jackson for me Friday morning so he wouldn't be underfoot while the movers were here. THAT was a lifesaver! Another guy from Mike's shop stopped by to help out for a few hours, too. Also very helpful.

A few things got broken. The headboard for Jackson's crib when it converts to a toddler bed. The bottom of the floor lamp for the living room. A small tear in the back of the loveseat. None of those were really that big of a deal to me. But the tiles to our end tables and coffee table got broken. They moved 60 and broke 15. The packers in Little Rock were apparantly idiots. They just put them in two stacks of 30 and put them in a box. No paper, no wrap, nothing. Just in a box. Um, DUH! Of course they're going to break! The biggest fight will be that we need 81 tiles to have full replacement. The 60 they moved plus the 21 in the sofa table that's at Mike's parents' house. Hopefully we won't have to fight too hard.

After the movers left at about 12:30 came the unpacking. Oh joy. But I was able to get all the boxes emptied by Saturday night. And that even included a break on Friday night for dinner at Shane and Ellen's. Thank goodness I didn't have to try to cook in that chaos!! I finished organizing and putting almost everything in it's place this morning. Going out in a little while to buy a few things, then I'll organize the last little bit and be done! So, all moved in and unpacked in 3 days flat. Not bad for doing it with a 1 1/2 year old if I do say so myself. Of course there will be a few things that will wait until Mike gets back, like hanging the pictures.

Jackson had fun with all the paper and "helping" me unpack. He's also trying to sign Daddy even though we weren't really teaching him. We've watched his signing video twice this last week and I think he picked up "Daddy" from that. He is asking where Mike is, which is adorable. He point to himself and makes his question noise. I say, "Jackson." Then he points to me and questions and I say, "Mommy." Then he points to the door and tries to sign Daddy. Like, "Where the heck is that dude that's always here?!" He cracks me up. I'm sure he'll be just as glad as I am when Mike gets back!

That's all for now. Just a quick update while Jackson's asleep. No new pictures at the moment. Mike has the camera with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Natural Mommie Green Giveways